December 12, 2009

Roll Out Sugar Cookies, Christmas Style

Posted by Lisa at 11:40 PM
When my mother and I make cookies for Christmas, they always look more or less like this. This is our signature look, you know. Most of our Christmas cookie cutters have disappeared or become generally misshapen in the years that we've had them, so we always have round ones now. Also, it seems that we attempt to make up for our lack of decorating skills by seeing how much frosting we can get on each cookie.

 
Okay, so I tried Fannie Farmer's Old Fashioned Sugar Cookie recipe for this. They aren't bad, but take more flour than the recipe calls for if you actually want to roll them out.

The frosting is from somewhere, I'm sure, but I got the recipe off of a little paper that's been taped inside the cupboard for as long as I remember. It needed a little bit more milk than it called for, but then again, our frosting was a little on the running side, so exercise judgment.

--------------------------------
Roll Out Sugar Cookies

1 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk
3 c flour (plus some amount)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat thoroughly. Add milk. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder, then stir in. Chill overnight (or until you think it's ready I guess). Roll out 1/4 inch thick, cut out, and bake on buttered cookie sheet for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. I used tinfoil rather than butter because I thought it would make more and was planning to do it assembly line style. Makes 36 cookies (2.75 inch diameter)


Decorator's Frosting

2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk (plus maybe a tsp more or so)

Cream butter until soft. Blend in sugar, milk and vanilla.

I made four batches of this. Making two will give you enough to frost 36 cookies, making four gives you enough to do that and pipe on a bunch more. So what we did was make two batches, frost all the cookies, make two more and separate them in half, colored one half green and the other half red (and added 1/4 tsp strawberry extract to make a nice hint of flavor). Then we piped ourselves silly. Voila! Christmas cookies.

1 comments on "Roll Out Sugar Cookies, Christmas Style"

Jczapalay@gmail.com on November 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM said...

Keep the dough and your hands and the rolling pin cold. Too much flour makes the cookies tough. I use 2 1/2 c flour (sifted) and keep 1/2 cup for the board and my hands.
I use the earlier Fanny Farmer- my 2nd favourite cook book.

Post a Comment

 

Baking in Shoes Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates | Thanks to Blogger Templates | Image by Tadpole's Notez