November 30, 2009

Chocolate Lime Cupcakes with Almond Extract Buttercream Frosting

Posted by Lisa at 8:33 PM
I felt like making something today. I didn't know what, but I knew I was kind of low on sugar and butter and had some extra limes. So! I made these cupcakes.



As a jumping off point, I took a look at  Fannie Farmer's Quick Mix Fudge Cake. With a snip here and a cut there, this is what I ended up with:

----------------------------------
Chocolate Lime Cupcakes

1 c 1 tbsp cocoa powder (F.F. called for 3 oz chocolate and no butter)
3 tbsp butter, melted (I only had unsalted.)
1 3/4 c cake flour
1 c sugar (originally 1 1/2 c sugar, but like I said, I was low)
1/8 c Splenda (yeah, I used the little packets. It came to maybe 20 or so. Ludicrous.
1 tsp salt (originally 3/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/2 c oil
2 medium limes worth of juice (a little less than 1/3 c or so) and zest
1 tsp almond extract (originally vanilla)
2 eggs
2/3 milk (originally didn't call for milk)

Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa. Add butter oil and milk and beat on low until mixed. Add lime juice, zest, almond extract and eggs and beat until smooth. Fill 3/4 full (for nice doming action) and bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes. Makes 13.

How do they taste? I'll go with...different. It's like chocolate with a lime kicker if I'm being kind, tainted chocolate if I'm being less so. They're not bad! They're just different.

----------------------------------
The frosting on these guys is, once again, this recipe. The only thing I did differently was add 1 1/2 tbsp almond extract in place of the vanilla. Then I dipped the frosted cupcakes in colored sugar.

0 comments on "Chocolate Lime Cupcakes with Almond Extract Buttercream Frosting"

Post a Comment

 

Baking in Shoes Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates | Thanks to Blogger Templates | Image by Tadpole's Notez