November 6, 2009

Italian Wedding Soup

Posted by Lisa at 2:42 PM
Okay, so soup doesn't fall into the baking category per se, but I made it none the less and I can put what I want here, right? Right. So. Italian wedding soup. This recipe came from a former boss of mine. There are some changes I would make next time, but all in all it's a good soup.

Before today, I had never made a meatball. I'm not much for handling meat, it's not my thing. I figured if I *am* going to get into that game, I should start with the basics: ground beef and chicken breast. Simple.

-----------------------------------

Meatballs:

2 lbs lean ground beef (80/20 or leaner)
About 7 oz bread crumbs
About 1/2 container grated Parmesan cheese
Milk (just enough to keep things moist)

Mix all the ingredients together and form into quarter sized meatballs. Place in a shallow greased pan (I used a tinfoil covered pan) and bake at 325 degrees for about 8 minutes. Set those aside.



-----------------------------------
Chicken:

4 good sized boneless chicken breasts
Olive oil (to coat pan)

Cut chicken into nickel sized pieces. Coat pan in olive oil and heat for a minute or so before putting chicken in. Cook until just done.



----------------------------------
 Soup:

4 containers of chicken broth (this might be considered cheating, but so what.)
1 package of frozen chopped spinach (the recipe called for 2, but that turned out to be too much.)

Put broth and spinach in large pot. Simmer until spinach is completely thawed. Add the meatballs and chicken and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.



-----------------------------------
Pasta:

1 lb uncooked Orzo or Acin de Pepe. (I used Orzo)

Cook pasta, staying more on the al dente side of the spectrum. It'll finish cooking in the soup. Drain completely and add to soup. Simmer for about 1 more hour.



----------------------------------

And that's that. If done again, I'd use less spinach and more broth, but it didn't turn out bad at all.


0 comments on "Italian Wedding Soup"

Post a Comment

 

Baking in Shoes Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates | Thanks to Blogger Templates | Image by Tadpole's Notez