October 30, 2009

Attempting a St. Louis Gooey Butter Cupcake

Posted by Lisa at 12:21 PM

Up until three days ago, I had never heard of a gooey butter cake. It was brought up by Bill, who wondered if one such cake could be turned into cupcakes. After looking it up, I decided that the cakes looked delicious and that there was no reason there couldn't be a cupcake version.

Now, since I've never actually tried an authentic (or any) version of a gooey butter cake, I have no idea if the taste, texture and so on are going to be correct. Also, I'm pretty sure mine are going to fall apart as soon as I unwrap them. There was trouble.




So there's the finished, wrapped product. How did it hold up after unwrapping?






You can see there's a clear division between layers, but all in all it holds together pretty well. As for taste, I would compare it to a fantastically gooey Christmas cookie. So buttery and good. Like I said, I've never taste the real deal, but these are good regardless. I just have to work out a few structural problems and I'm golden. Oh, and I think these would be great as a mini-cupcake. So good.

-----------------------------------
Gooey Butter Cake Recipe (adapted from Cooking with Joey's recipe)

2 c flour, separated
1 1/4 c sugar, plus 3 tbsp
1/3 c butter, plus 3/4 c butter (I used a wee bit extra than 1/3)
1/4 c light corn syrup
1 egg
2/3 c buttermilk (he used evaporated milk, but I found out too late that mine was waaay expired)

Mix 1 c flour and 3 tbsp sugar together in mixing bowl. Cut in 1/3 c butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Spoon by the heaping tablespoon and pat down into 16 cupcake liners .

For Filling: Beat 1 1/4 c sugar and 3/4 c butter until combined. Beat in egg and corn syrup until just combined. Add flour and buttermilk, alternating between the two and beating in between. Scoop into liners over flour. Bake at 350 degrees for 16-19 until just about firm. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

0 comments on "Attempting a St. Louis Gooey Butter Cupcake"

Post a Comment

 

Baking in Shoes Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates | Thanks to Blogger Templates | Image by Tadpole's Notez