October 24, 2009

Chai Cupcakes (500 Cupcakes)

Posted by Lisa at 10:50 PM
There was this little coffee shop near my house that I didn't get to go to very often before they closed, but they served the best chai latte I've ever had. I think of that place whenever I hear about anything chai related, including these cupcakes from 500 Cupcakes.






These cupcakes taste nothing like chai tea. They taste, in my opinion, like buttermilk biscuits. Which isn't bad! It's just not what I was in the market for. I suspect I'm at fault, using maybe the wrong kind of chai powder.


----------------------------------

Chai Cupcakes

2 c self-rising flour (I used 2 c regular flour mixed with 2 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp salt)
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tbsp chai tea powder
1/4 cup sweet butter, softened
3/4 c packed light brown sugar
2 egg whites
2/3 c buttermilk

Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and chai powder. In large bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg whites and beat well. Gradually add in flour mixture and buttermilk. Mix until combined. Fill liners about 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. (I only just realized that it said 350 and not 375, but nothing terrible happened so phew!) Makes 12.

-----------------------------------

The frosting was a cream cheese frosting that I added cinnamon to in a last ditch effort to spice up these cupcakes. It didn't really work. It's very cream cheesy. That's all I've got to say about that.

-----------------------------------

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 c cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
(1/2 tsp cinnamon?)

Mix cream cheese and sugar together. Beat in lemon and vanilla until smooth. Add optional cinnamon.

0 comments on "Chai Cupcakes (500 Cupcakes)"

Post a Comment

 

Baking in Shoes Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates | Thanks to Blogger Templates | Image by Tadpole's Notez